How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4794
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I received a P800 underpayment tax demand last year in

This answer was rated:

Hi I received a P800 underpayment tax demand for year 2013/14 in November 2014. HMRC has now ruled I should be responsible for this amount and not my employers, HMRC alleged I knowingly worked in 2 jobs at the same time which was not the case. I had in that year worked for 2 employers but never at the same time. One of the employers stated they did not receive my P45, the other had my salary and tronc on 2 payslips that may have resulted in excessive personal allowances and I am not sure if this was the reason HMRC got confused in thinking I had 2 jobs at the same time. Please help.

Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. I regret that my response will not be to your liking.
You should always check both any tax coding notices you receive as well as pay slips to ensure that the correct ones are being used by your employer. In this case something has clearly gone wrong and two tranches of personal allowances incorrectly applied. Unfortunately you are responsible for meeting the Income Tax under deducted as indicated on the P800.
If the sum involved is under 3K you can ask HMRC to recover the amount outstanding through your tax code which at least spreads the load as opposed to having to settle a lump sum.
You could try applying to employers telling them that they have made errors, but I doubt if they would be agreeable to recompensing you and would suggest that legal action would fail anyway as well as being an expensive option. If you are a member of a trade union they may be prepared to assist and put pressure on your employers.
I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.