How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14157
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

can employes be payed by a manager who is on a commission

Customer Question

Hi can employes be payed by a manager who is on a commission only basic when the employes are under contract to another employer
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  ben.jones replied 3 years ago.
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can pump lease explain your situation in a bit more detail?
JACUSTOMER-37cwkvmk- :

Well Ben i am employed with a company on a self-employment basic and being payed on a commission basic,the staff are employed under contracts,i am getting deductions from my commission from gross-not net so i am getting charged for there tax and national insurance from this commission but i dont employ them can an employer do this

Ben Jones :

Thanks I think this is more of a tax than an employment law query though so I will transfer this to our Tax section. Please do not reply in the meantime and also please do not leave a rating for my response as I have not answered your query. Thanks

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.


Thanks for your question, - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts.

It would seem to me that you are being paid through an umbrealla company (as if you are a limited company) but then still should only be having your tax. national isurance and the employers national insurance (based on your gross pay) deducted, and NOT the other employees national insurance and tax.

Perhaps you could give me some figures, and I can advsie further, and also advise, what the company that engage your services, advised on of, when you posed this situation to them