How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5141
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now
This answer was rated:

I have received my Tax Code which is lower

I have received my Tax... Show More
I have received my Tax Code for 2015 which is lower than 2014
and suggests that I will pay more tax, I am 75 and Hmrc correctly
assumed my income last year was approx £17300. this year they
are saying my income is £27700!! this is nonsense as with the small
increases to my pensions my income will be a little more than last year!
should I be concerned?
thanks for any advice.
Keith Middleton.
Show Less
Ask Your Own Tax Question
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Keith, you should not get unduly concerned.

You should contact the Tax Office that issued you with the tax coding for 2015-16. Their phone number should be on that notice.

Normally, HMRC is receptive to phone calls dealing with tax codes, from my experience of dealing on behalf of my clients.

Explain to them that your income is unlikely to be greater than current year and that they should amend your tax code accordingly.

You can also contact HMRC on this number - Tel: 0300(###) ###-#### ***** information on how to contact HMRC can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.