TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am on a state pension how much can I earn before I have to

I am on a state pension how much can I earn before I have to pay tax?

Can you tell me what your date of brith is and how much state pension you get please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

State pension £596.4. DOB 14/10/35

Do you receive the pension every 28 days or monthly? If you receive it every four weeks, then the payment day will be different almost every month.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Every 4 weeks

Thnaks.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
I'm back.

As you were born before 6 April 1938, you are entitled to a personal allowance of £10,660. As your state pension is £7,753 per annum (£596.40 x 13), you have £2,907 of unused allowances so you can have further income of £2,907 without paying tax.

If you are married and one spouse doesn't use all their personal allowance, from 6 April 2016, they will be able to transfer up to £1,050 of their personal allowance to their spouse. You can read about that here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.