bigduckontax, Accountant

We have a Swiss customer that is buying a machine from Sweden

We have a Swiss customer that is buying a machine from Sweden and locating it in our UK premises. Should the Swedish supplier charge UK VAT and if so who can claim it back
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
This is how it works. When the machine arrives in the UK Customs may impose an Import Tax which becomes a cost of acquisition and also VAT. That VAT can be reclaimed by the purchaser in the normal way through the quarterly return. The item will not be released by Customs until their bill is paid. The Swedish supplier does not charge UK VAT. Customs sometimes do not charge Duty and VAT on import. If that happens, emulate Brer Fox, 'For he lay low and say nuffin.'
I do hope I have helped you with your question.
Thank you for your support.