How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5148
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

My son started working as a self employed labourer in April

This answer was rated:

My son started working as a self employed labourer in April 2014 and has set up a direct debit to pay his NIS. Can you please advise if he needed to do any form of tax return this year. His earnings have been minimal as he has not had regular work

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

I presume your son has already registered for self assessment as self employed.

If he has not done so, then he should register for self assessment first and obtain a unique tax reference number (UTR) in order to file a tax return.

He can register for it online and the link is here

If has already registered and got a UTR number and he started self employment on/or after 6 Apr 2014 then he would be required to file a tax return for this tax year 2014-15, and it would be due no later than 31 Oct 2015 if he sends a paper return or 31 Jan 2016 for online filing.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you