How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4763
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I'm living in the UK as a resident and have done a freelance

This answer was rated:

I'm living in the UK as a resident and have done a freelance job for a company in Paris. They are asking me for a certificate of residence. I applied online with HMR and they are asking me what for the Article of the DTA? What is this?
Thanks, Tony.
Hello Tony, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Article 1(a)(i) is almost certainly the reference that a French firm needs from the Double Taxation Convention between France and the UK. Later the following point is made:
'in the case of France, all taxes imposed on behalf of the State or of
its local authorities irrespective of the manner in which they are
levied on total income, or on elements of income, including taxes
on gains from the alienation of movable or immovable property,
taxes on the total amount of wages or salaries paid by enterprises,
as well as taxes on capital appreciation; those taxes are in
(i) the income tax (l'impôt sur le revenu);'
Clear as mud, isn't it? French taxation is extremely complicated and constantly changing. France has five times as many Inspectors per head of population as does the UK. The Parisian firm is merely clearing their yard arm for the French authorities. If you are paid with a deduction of French tax this is no problem for under the treaty the tax deducted is allowed as a tax credit against any UK tax due on the same income stream. That is what the double taxation arrangements are designed to do, to ensure that tax is not levied in both jurisdiction.
I do hope that I have been of some assistance. You can find full details of the Convention here in case you need to dig a little deeper.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Keith. Finally it makes sense. Hopefully I will get a certificate now.

Delighted to be of assistance.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Thank you for your support.