How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am an adult placement carer and receive payment from

This answer was rated:

hello I am an adult placement carer and receive payment from the local council. They have asked for my UTR. Do I have to let them have this ( I do my own tax returns)

Has the council given you a reason for asking for your UTR?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, but they are visiting me in 7 days. The reason I am concerned is I am an adult placement carer. About 8 years ago I left the scheme as they asked me to because I had one resident who was learning difficulties and another who was mental health category and they said it was easier for them as the two were not meant to live together(although it was them who placed them with me) So I did this.They continued to pay us and all went along fine.However, I was unsure as to whether I could continue to claim the tax concession afforded to Adult Placement carers. I went online and found a question exactly the same and the tax consultant said yes it was fine. So this is what I did- I tell them on the form I am an adult placement carer- which strictly I still am, although I do not participate in the scheme regime now. Sorry this is a long reply but I am now worried I may not be right. The planned visit is about the finances of the gent I care for and I have kept accurate records etc about the payments received etc and declare my savings etc to the tax.


When you say that you left the scheme, what do you mean by that exactly? It seems that the council continued to pay you so you must have been looking after at least one individual.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well they just said I left the scheme but I was fully trained (my husband too) and continued to care for the two residents I had. I had occasional visits from 'officials' and I was still paid in the same manner- from the local council each month with the paperwork and sent records to the local council about the payments regularly as required. If I am not deemed an adult placement worker,this seems odd.

Ps the client placement people even rang asking to place further clients with us


Given that the two residents were placed with you by the council, they continue to pay you and another tax consultant has confirmed that you could continue to claim the tax concession I see no reason to doubt that. There is a definition of "Adult Placement Care" on page 1 here. It seems to me that you meet all the criteria there, though I do wonder why you were asked to leave the scheme. I've not dealt with any carer who hasn't claimed the tax concessions.

If I were you, I'd ask them why the council need to know your UTR. They may simply be checking that you are complying with your tax obligations. Given that they have asked for the UTR, I cannot see how you can refuse to let them know what it is but you should ask them.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou so much, you have put my mind at rest quite a bit.Do I owe you any more as it was a long session. My sincere gratitude to you.

You don't owe any more. Some question sessions last much longer. It's swings and roundabaouts.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you