How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am 79 and my wife 75. My pension income is £23k on which

This answer was rated:

I am 79 and my wife 75. My pension income is £23k on which £2.5k tax has been paid. My wife's pension income is £4.7k, nil tax paid. Can she transfer any personal relief to me in order to make a refund claim. Many thanks

Can you tell me what your dates of birth were please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have given our ages!
I DO NOT wish to have any monthly subscription. This is a one off request. If this is a condition of your service I do not wish to continue.
Please advise.
It's not a condition of the service to have a monthly subscription. Contact just answer customer services here to cancel any monthly subscription if you have one.

I'm drafting an answer to your question now. I will post it here in a short while.

Hi again.

You cannot transfer any of your wife's unused personal allowance to yourself for 2014/15 or earlier tax years unfortunately. The married couple's allowance which is only available to those couples where one or both of the spouses was born before 6 April 1935 can be switched between spouses.

As you can read here, from 6 April 2015, your wife will be able to transfer 10% of her personal allowance to you which will save you some tax at 20%. You can apply to do that here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you