How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17201
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am moving to Spain and will still be working UK employer,

Customer Question

I am moving to Spain and will still be working for my UK employer, I have been told I need to fill in a P85 to obtain a NT tax code but I am confused where I will pay my tax
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
The P85 your employer asked you to complete is to obtain full UK tax relief on your earnings.
Britain has a double taxation agreement with Spain to ensure people do not pay tax on the same income in both countries.
You will be paying tax in Spain. Personal income tax (spanish initials, irpf)is a personal, direct tax on individual income that varies according to personal and family circumstances.
When an individual remains in Spain for more than 183 days in a calendar
year they are resident for tax purposes.
I would suggest you speak with your company and ask if they will be withholding and paying your tax in Spain as an employee. This also includes any Social Security and Unemployment.