How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4779
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My partner and I (not married nor in civil partnership) own

This answer was rated:

My partner and I (not married nor in civil partnership) own a house & have 2 children. I would like to 'give' her a lump sum (75K) share of the proceeds of the sale of some shares (on which i have already paid CGT).
Is there a tax liability on that 75K, and what prevents me from just transferring that sum to her account from mine?
Hello Stuart, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Nothing at all, gifts are outside the scope of UK taxation. Thank your lucky stars you don't live in France where gift taxes kick in at some 5K Euros!
There is one point to note, however. The gift would create a Potentially Exempt Transfer (PET) in your Inheritance tax (IHT) affairs. PETs run off at a taper over seven years and in the event of your demise will be added back into your IHT computation. PETs are the first to suffer IHT and if your estate is insufficient to meet the tax then the liability cascades down to the beneficiary for immediate payment.
There are two solutions to prevent this, one normal and one flippant. The normal method is to take a decreasing term life insurance cover to protect the PET. The flippant one is to get married before the gift in which situation no PET would be created at all, inter spousal etc transfers being outside the scope of UK taxation.
I do hope I have been able to shed some light on your proposals and not been too cheeky into the bargain.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Keith

Thank you. Made me laugh and relax in equal measure. I'm aware of the IHT issues, but wanted to be sure i was not generating any income tax liability for my partner. If i understand you correctly, it's fine. I am glad to live here & not in France.

I am rating you as requested - very well of course.

Best wishes


Delighted to have been of assistance, Stuart.
There are no Income Tax complications here. Let us just hope that she does not skedaddle with the cash on receipt! Kerchingggg!
Thank you for your support.