How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

i have an offer shop to be purchased development I

This answer was rated:

i have an offer for my shop to be purchased for re development
I currently rent it to my business as I own it in my own name, after sale I would not relocate but close the business
What capital gains tax would I pay on the sale; I expect to make a profit of £200,000


Provided you meet the criteria set out in HS275 here, you should qualify for entrepreneurs' relief for some if not all of the gain on the disposal of the asset which you own personally but which is used in your business. If you do qualify, that would limit your CGT charge to a rate of 10% of the net taxable gain. The first £11,100 of gains made by an individual in any one tax year (2015/16) are exempt from Capital Gains Tax.

There is a caveat, however. You say you rent the shop to your business. As that is the case, the 10% rate of CGT is restricted to that part of the gain which arose up to 5 April 2008 on a pro-rata basis. The balance of the gain will be subject to CGT at 18%, 28% or a combination of the two rates depending on the level of your income in the tax year of disposal of the business asset. Take a look under the heading "An associated disposal" on pages 4 and 5 of HS275 for the specific rules which restrict the relief. See example 4 for an illustration of the restriction to the relief on page 6.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you