How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

This is a VAT question. My son lives and works in Dubai, is

This answer was rated:

This is a VAT question. My son lives and works in Dubai, is he liable to pay VAT on an Estate agents fees.

Can you tell me what the VAT applies to exactly please. What service or services were provided by the esate agent?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


It is Vat on their services in selling his London property.


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you

I'm back.

Whether there should be a VAT charge or not depends on the place of supply of the service. The "general rule" is that the place of supply is determined by whether the customer is a business customer or a non-business customer. For a business customer, the place of supply is generally where the customer belongs. For a non-business customer, the place of supply is generally where the supplier belongs. Look under the heading "The general rule and the place of belonging" here.

If you look under the heading "Land and property services" here, it clearly states that for the professional services of an estate agent, the place of supply is always where the property is situated. See paragraphs 6.1 and 6.4 here for further confirmation.

Assuming the estate agent has charged VAT on the fee for the sale of the London property, then that is correct and lawful.

I hope this clarifies things for you but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you