How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4766
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

. If I am renting a flat which is part of my house how

This answer was rated:

Hello. If I am renting a flat which is part of my house how would this be considered under
the Rent a Room scheme? Thank you Richard
Hello Richard, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
The Rent a Room scheme is actually quite flexible. Here is the Gov UK's preamble on the subject:
'The Rent a Room Scheme lets you earn up to a threshold of £4,250 per year tax-free from letting out furnished accommodation in your home. This is halved if you share the income with your partner or someone else.
You can let out a room or an entire floor.'
You can read the full chapter and verse here:
Providing you do not breach the GBP 4.250K rental limit your proposal would fall within the scheme's parameters.
I do hope I have been able to put your mind at rest on this matter.
bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.