How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Through ill advice i owe a considerable amount of tax. At this

This answer was rated:

Through ill advice i owe a considerable amount of tax. At this moment, i am 69 years of age and working as an engineer in various parts of the world, i have no savings left and pay what i can each month. How do i stand legally as i have an accountant that is dealing with my tax affairs, and in the last month the dept tax office has phoned my accountant asking when the next payment is going to be made, and threatening me with taking personnel possessions ( car etc ) While i am trying to pay as much as i can, how do i stand? can they just come to my house and remove my possessions without prior notice?


Thanks for your question I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts.

Why has your accountant not attempted to negotiate a time to pay arrangement with HMRC for you, as this would then allow HMRC to formally accept the figure each month, that you are able to affird, without constantly harrassing you (via your accountant) or threatening to remove goods to meet some of the tax due.

What was the last agreed arrangement with HMRC regarding this debt?

Are you able to borrrow any money towards it - or pay some via a credit card.

I need to know what has (if anything) put in place so far.



Sam and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you