How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

, My tax code -2016 is the standard one: 1060L. I

This answer was rated:

My tax code for 2015-2016 is the standard one: 1060L.
I am only paid 39 weeks per year (and not 52 weeks per year).
How will my income tax and NI be calculated? Will I be likely to over pay income tax and NI?


Which part of the year do you work? Is that for the same employer? What do you do for a living?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am a teaching assistant and I am paid school term time only (that is 39 weeks from beginning of September until about mid-July). I work for only one employer.



Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

Hi again.

PAYE works on a cumulative basis. Assuming the school's payroll people continue to do their monthly real time information return submissions to HMRC, your tax and NIC should be updated automatically for each of the non-working months.

If you continue to get payslips in the summer period, your tax should reduce and you should get some back as you won't be earning any money but you will still be entitled to your personal allowance each month. You should ask your payroll section what their process is in the summer months.

NIC is based on the earnings for each pay period and is not worked out on a cumulative basis as income tax is so you won't get a refund as you should of tax.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you