How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

my boyfriend has transferred £8000 into my account (im in debt

This answer was rated:

my boyfriend has transferred £8000 into my account (im in debt and have credit card worries). do i have to pay tax on this please?

You won't have to pay tax on the money which your boyfriend has either loaned to you or gifted to you. If it is a gift, then there could be Inheritance Tax implications if your boyfriend dies within seven years of making the gift but that will only be a problem if his net wealth is more than £325,000.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your answer, but i looked earlier on hmrc and it said £3000 max gift and ive panicked (we dont live together does this change things).


The £3,000 level is an IHT exempt gift. If he made no gifts in the previous tax year, then he can use his allowance of £3,000 from that year, so he has £6,000 in total. Therefore, only £2,000 (£8,000 - £6,000) is what is called a potentially exempt transfer.

Provided your boyfriend lives for at least seven years from the date of the gift, it will not be included in his estate for IHT purposes. Even if it was, the IHT would normally be paid by his estate and it would only fall on you to pay if there was not enough money in his estate to pay it.

Take a look here for ionformation on gifts and IHT.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks i will put excellent as my rate. is there any way i can have a record of this conversation ie email? *****@******.***

You could ask just answer customer services here if that is possible.

What I recommend is that you save the address of this webpage into an email and send it to yourself. The question will always be accessible to you.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you