How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17145
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have a client whose husband bought shares in his own

This answer was rated:

I have a client whose husband bought shares in his own name and then the shares were transferred to his wife upon his death. She has recently sold the shares and will be providing money to her children from the proceeds of the sale.
When I calculate the capital gains tax on the profit, do I take the cost of the shares from when the husband originally bought the shares or when they were transferred to the wife and are there any tax implications for providing money to her children upon the sales of the shares.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
She’ll have to pay Capital Gains Tax if she sells (‘dispose of’) the inherited shares that have gone up in value since the husband died.
You start with the value on the date of death.
There would be no problem with the gift of cash to the children as long as the 7 years are met.
The amount would not be included back into her estate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much.

Therefore, is it correct that I take the cost of the shares that were sold the date when her husband died and not the date when her husband originally bought them?

The wife would also have to live for 7 years after making the gift in order to avoid paying inheritance tax. Is that correct?



Yes, that is correct on both points.

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you