How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17204
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

, My father inherited his house from his mother in 1984,

This answer was rated:

My father inherited his house from his mother in 1984, valued then at approximately £40,000 and now wants to sell it to his grandson, valued now at approximately £140,000, he lived in it until March 2014 and now lives in permanent residential care and is self funding, the house has been rented out for the last 12 months at £550.00 per month, would he have to pay capital gains tax and would he get private residence relief and also letting relief.
Many thanks.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
Your father would receive Private Residence relief based on his use of the home for the years he lived there.
Because he only owned one home and in long-term residential care, he will get full relief for the last 36 months before he sells his home.
He should have no Capital Gains Tax to pay .
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you