How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4944
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My Tax return /2014 showed that I was owed over £700,

Customer Question

My Tax return for 2013/2014 showed that I was owed over £700, and I've not yet received any payment,is there any reason for this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Have HMRC confirmed this figure? When you submit a return it is normal for them to send you a statement. However, Gov UK web site tells you:
'When you get a refund automatically
Sometimes HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will send you a refund automatically when you’ve paid too much tax.
If you’ve started a new job and overpaid tax, HMRC will usually ask your employer to pay it back to you.
If you’ve paid too much tax on a pension, your pension provider may pay back the tax to you.
When you can claim a refund
If you don’t get a refund automatically, you may be able to claim if you:
Had too much tax taken from your pay
Have stopped work
Get a pension
Bought a life annuity
Made a mistake on your tax return
You may also be able to reclaim tax:
you’ve paid on savings interest if you’re on a low income
if you live in one country and have income in another - how you do this depends on whether you’re a UK resident with foreign income or a non-resident with UK income.'
A lot depends upon your personal circumstances. If you are in employment and being remunerated under PAYE arrangements refunds usually come by increasing tour tax code and then your reimbursement is via your employer's pay slip.
As for refund times Gov UK further advise:
'When you'll get your refund
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will usually send repayments within 2 weeks, but it may take longer in some cases.
You should wait 4 weeks after making an online claim and 6 weeks after making a postal claim before contacting HMRC about the payment.'
From the tenor of your question it indicates that something is amiss so you should contact your tax office to ask what has happened. I would always advise that this be done by letter.
I do hope that I have assisted you with your question.