How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5148
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am working in Qatar and therefore not paying UK tax. However

This answer was rated:

I am working in Qatar and therefore not paying UK tax. However I do own a house in the UK and want to pay off the mortgage. I am about to leave a US based company and therefore have to sell my shares as the company as it is employee owned. If the money generated by these stocks is deposited in my UK bank account will it be subject to Capital gains Tax even though I am not currently paying tax in UK?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

If you are a non resident in the UK for UK tax purposes in a tax year, funds deposited in a UK bank from overseas earnings/gains are not chargeable to UK income tax or capital gains tax.

Any income arising in the UK would be chargeable to UK tax.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Please only rate my answer if it is acceptable.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The company has headquarters in US and the stocks will be paid in dollars but I work for the UK branch even though I am working in Qatar. Does this have any effect?

David, thank you for your reply.

If your earnings are not taxed as you are non resident in the UK then whilst you maintain this tax stautus, any gain from sale of shares would not be chargeable to UK taxation.

I hope this is helpful. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.
Your reward of a bonus is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes.