How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am 71 years old. year 2014-15 can I claim a age-related

This answer was rated:

I am 71 years old. For tax year 2014-15 can I claim a age-related tax allowance IN ADDITION TO the standard tax free personal allowance in my tax return? If yes, can I claim age-related tax allowances for previous years retrospectively?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

There is increased personal allowance from age 65. This is automatically given in tax coding etc. Main personal allowances for tax year 2014-15 are
Born after 1948 £10,000
Born after 5 Apr 1938 and before 6 Apr1948 £10,500.

There is no additional age related tax allowance other than married couple's allowance.

You can claim Married Couple's Allowance if you're married or in a civil partnership and at least one spouse or civil partner was born before 6 April 1935.

More information on age-related tax allowances can be found here.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you