How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4949
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I'm 64 and will retire early: In coming tax year I'll only

This answer was rated:

I'm 64 and will retire early:
In coming tax year I'll only have salary in april, then leave the job and live from income from abroad.
Question: impact on NIC; employer will withhold in April but do I have to pay for rest of the year ?
Thank you and regards.
Hello Peter, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
You are definitely in a Dad's Army 'Don't Panic' situation.
You do not have to stamp your card, to use an old expression, at your age. You will receive automatic credits until you reach your State Retirement Pension age.
The following information sheet from Rights for Seniors gives fuller details:
I do hope I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter. I got about 4 years of these!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Keith,

Thanks for the information and the link but how about the income from savings from abroad, about 12 k; It'll be taxable for sure but no NIC ?

Certainly not, savings income is outside the NI envelope and always has been. You will be liable for Income tax on those moneys, but you do have your Personal Allowance, 10K this tax year, 10.6K next tax year to offset this income. Depending from whence it comes you may be entitled to tax credits for any tax deducted in another country pursuant to one of the hundreds of Double Taxation Treaties which the UK has world wide which preclude the same income stream being taxed in both jurisdictions.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.