How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Have had my tax code year. I was divorced and remarried

This answer was rated:

Have had my tax code for the year.
I was divorced and remarried in 2001.
I cannot tell from my coding notice whether I am
Getting the married mans allowance.
My tax reference is 948/505. My Nat Ins No. Is AB. 24 01 38 B
Reginald Dockerty

Can you tell me your date of birth please. Do you have the coding notice to hand? If so, can you tell me what is in it in terms of allowances and deductions please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Date of birth 11 September 1928.
Personal allowance £10660
Pension/state benefits -£7803.
Tax free amount £2857.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
Whatever your reply may be I think your service is excellent.
Have a good weekend.
Reg Dockerty

Hi again.

There is clearly no mention of the married couples' allowance in your tax code.

As you remarried before 5 December 2005, only the level of your income is used to determine eligibility to the married couples' allowance.

Unless your income will exceed £27,700 in the 2015/16 tax year, you will be entitled to the full married couple' allowance of £8,355 which will reduce your tax liability by £835.50 (10% of the allowance). You lose £1 of the married couples' allowance for every £2 of income over £27,700. The allowance can be no less than £3,220 which is worth £322.00 in terms of tax. Take a look here for information on the MCA and here for information on personal allowances.

You'll need to call the tax office on the number here to have your code looked at and amended if necessary. They will do it while you are on the phone.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you