How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4964
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Good day, I would like to know how can I obtain VAT number

This answer was rated:

Good day,
I would like to know how can I obtain VAT number for LTD company registered in UK. What requirements and conditions.
We don't have office in UK and currently selling services to Asia, but planning to start trading with other EU countries which is a problem without VAT number right now.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
You can find out how to register your company for VAT here:
There is no requirement to register for the tax until the turnover reaches or approaches 81K in a year. Indeed HMRC will be loath to register the company at all at lower levels unless its outputs are likely to be exports. Exports are zero rated and so the cash flow would be improved by an ability to reclaim input tax. If you are trading with other EU countries then your company will be in the realms of the reverse charge. Providing you have the trading partner's VAT number or the equivalent you charge VAT at the standard rate and immediately make an equivalent input tax entry. It is quite a palaver as you have to complete periodic EU Sales Lists. A company with which I am associated made a reverse charge a quarter of a century ago and has not done one since. It still receives the Sales List to complete!
Once registered your company will have to file quarterly returns on line. This is one of the HMRC IT systems which actually works rather well.
When I was operating a company which was not registered the invoices were endorsed to that effect to advise customers of the organisation's status as to the tax.
I do hope that I have assisted you with your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Keith,

Thank you for quick reply.

Do we need to have office, employees in UK to register for VAT? One more thing which bothers me, do we need to have UK bank account?

I've found that we had to have or plan to have 82k VAT taxable income in a year. What if we plan, but will fail to reach that point?

Then you can cancel your registration. It is all in the link I have already sent you. You can appoint an agent for an UK address, but there is always the registered office of the company. You can find out all about business tax here:
You would need to have an UK bank account to receive the reclaimed input tax.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.