How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Further case, not related to Sale of Business question, but

This answer was rated:

Further case, not related to Sale of Business question, but same family.
Two brothers A & B acquired a house in April 1985.
To be sold to a third brother C during 2015.
Never rented out but brother A lived there for circa 8 years (brother B has his own home).
Can I claim full main residence relief for the period of occupation by brother A ,plus the final 18 months of ownership ?
Or is claim restricted to 50% to reflect his proportion of ownership ?
Thanking you.

The gain has to be split in the ownership proportions. Brother A will be entitled to main residence relief for 8 years and last 18 months relief on his share of the gain whereas Brother B will be entitled to no such relief on his share of the gain as it was never his main home.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further quiestions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you