How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am a non-UK citizen. I no longer live in the UK.

This answer was rated:

I am a non-UK citizen. I no longer live in the UK.
In 2002, I brought a residential property in the UK for £60k. At the time, I was living in the UK. In 2004, I moved abroad. In 2 April of this year, I sold that property for £109k. My understanding is that because this falls within the previous CGT regime, there is no CGT for me to pay. I'd be grateful if you could confirm.
Please could you also advise on any other tax implications for this sale other than CGT.
Many thanks

You say you sold the property on 2 April 2015. Was that date the date that you exchanged contracts or the completion date, ie the date your solicitor would have received the sale proceeds from the buyer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We exchanged and completed on the same date, 2 April.


CGT will affect non-UK residents selling UK residential property after 5 April 2015 so the fact that you exchanged and completed on 2 April 2015 means you have avoided that. For those affected, the tax charge will only be levied on the difference between the value of the property on 5 April 2015 and the disposal proceeds unless taking account of the entire period of ownership and original cost is more beneficial for the seller.

There are no other tax implications for you to worry about.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you