How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Why has my tax code changed to BR which has resulted in a monthly

This answer was rated:

Why has my tax code changed to BR which has resulted in a monthly deficit from my late husband's pension to me of £122. This will result in an annual shortfall of £1464.00

There could be any number of reasons why the tax code has changed. Can you tell me what sources of income you have and how much you receive from each one before tax please. What is your date of birth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

State Pension £7728.87

Teacher's Pension £10582.01

Other Income £150

Income before tax £18460.88

DOB 06 10 46


Can you tell me which income source the BR code has been issued against please.

Ignore my previous post. I'm working on your figures now.
I'm back.

Based on your date of birth, you are entitled to a personal tax allowance of £10,600. From that you deduct the state pension of £7,728 which is paid gross and you are left with net allowances of £2,872 which convert to a tax code of 287P. You should not be on a BR (20%) tax code.

I'm afraid that you will have to call the tax office on the number here to have the tax code changed quickly. They will do it while you are on the phone to them. The best time to call is 8am in the morning. Alternatively, complete the form here and send it to HMRC over the internet.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you