How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Several of our employees overpaid tax previous year of

Customer Question

Several of our employees overpaid tax for a previous year of £74.80, I am not sure why as I used payroll software. However, this is correct on checking their pay and tax for that year.
Their tax codes for this Year End 2016 have bee reduced from 1060L to 1022L. Is this correct ?
Their personal allowance £10600 has been reduced by £374, HMRC letter to employees states this is to collect the underpayment (£374.00 at 20% is £74.80).
I thought the personal allowance would be reduced £10600 - £75 = £10526 and a tax code of 1052L
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
This sounds like total confusion here. You say that some of your employees overpaid tax in a previoos year. The over payments will be refunded direct by HMRC on the filing of the employer's end of the year return.
Regrettably, I cannot tell you why their tax codes have been reduced. With respect it is a personal matter between the individual and HMRC. All the employer must do is operate the code issued by HMRC. Individuals should challenge their codes direct with HMRC. A reduction from 1060L to 1022L may well be to recover underpaid tax in earlier years.
Tax codes for recovery always appear odd as to recover 75K a notional GBP 374 is needed [374 / 0.2 = 74.8].
I do hope I have been able to shed some light on the situation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I meant underpaid not overpaid, sorry!

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Well, that is pretty obvious; HMRC are recovering under paid taxes for prior years. Up to 3K can be recovered in this manner. It spreads the load over a year rather than the individual having to stump up a lump sum demand.