How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My daughter owns a house with her ex husband. They are now

This answer was rated:

My daughter owns a house with her ex husband. They are now selling. The purchase price 7 years ago was £173500. The sell price is £235000. They will be paying 1.75% to estate agents and £800 in solictors fees.
Will my daughter have to pay capital gains tax on her share of the profit? Her ex husband has said that he will not have to pay any. Does it depend on what she is earning? At this moment in time she is out of work but is looking for a job. She was earning in the last financial year.

Can I assume that the ex-husband is still living in the property? Where does your daughter live? Does she own another property which she lives in? Can you tell me when the house was bought (month and year) and when your daughter moved out (month and year)? Did she live in the house between the date of purchase and her moving out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My daughter still lives at the house. They bought the house between then November 2006. So that actually makes in 9 years ago that they purchased it.


The gain for the period that a property is your only or main home before it is sold will be tax free. Even if both your daughter and her ex-husband moved out, they would have 18 months after doing so to sell it CGT free. Assuming they have both lived there for the entire period of ownership, neither will have any CGT to pay.

Take a look here for more information.

I hope this clarifies matters but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you