How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14196
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Good day. On 15th March 2014, I left my job in the UK to live

This answer was rated:

Good day. On 15th March 2014, I left my job in the UK to live and work in Qatar for the same company, intending to stay there for at least 3 years. Before leaving, my employer sent me a HMRC Form P85, which I completed and sent to my tax office. For the remainder of the tax year, my salary was paid in Qatari Riyals, then transferred to my UK bank account in GBP. When I returned to the UK for a break the following June, I’d received a request from HMRC to file an annual tax return for 2013/14, as I had for every previous year. Deciding that their Foreign Income form was inappropriate, I included my Qatar income on the tax return as a figure in GBP, which resulted in HMRC sending me a tax bill for that amount. Because I’m about to complete a tax return for 2014/15, I’m wondering if I should declare any of my Qatar-paid income at all. Can you offer any advice? If so, please advise, including any of such regarding a claim for a refund of last year’s bill.
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and welcome to Just Answer - the UK tax forum.
For 2013/2014 you needed to complete the employment page for the UK income to 15/03/2014 and then a foreign income page for the income from abroad and also the residency page.
This would have allowed HMRC to review whether this foreign income could remian free of UK tax (based on the information you supplied on form P85 and the residency page on the 2014 self assessment tax return)
So get this corrected with HMRC now (either through an amended 2014 self assessment or writing to them advising the mistake you made with appropriate completion of the 2014 return.
For 2014/2015 you should just complete the foreign income page and the residency page and as long and you have spent less than 90 days each full tax year (pro rata'd for part tax years) then you will rmeian free of UK tax -
Let me know if I can assist any further with this matter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sam. Thanks for your swift response, and your advice. Unfortunately, I spent 106 days in UK during 2014/15, the extra being for compassionate reasons. Will I have to pay full tax on all of the foreign income?

NO - you will have a split year from 2013/2014 - time up to 15 March 2014 when you were treated as resident and liable to all income from 06/04/2014 to 14/03/2015 - then a period of not resident from 15/03/2015 to 05/04/2015 - and as long as you did not return for any visits to the UK in excess of 5 days - then this will be the start of your non resident and not liable to UK tax period (from 15/03/2015)
Let me know if you have any further assistance required, but it would be appreciated if you could rate (or click accept) the level of service I have provided, as this ensures that Just Answer credit for me my time
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you