How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

HiI have been offered a job as a self employed NVQ assesor

This answer was rated:

I have been offered a job as a self employed NVQ assesor but on further research have been told I would need to be working for 2 companies, why is this and how does it work? Also I have never been self employed before so it is all very new how does the tax work and what can I clain back as I will be using my car and working from home as well. Any help would be great also if I wanted to do paid agency work along side this would this be posible

Who told you that you need to be working for two companies? What will the work involve? Would the agency work be as an employee and in the same field as the self-employed work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The self employed work would be as an NVQ assessor and it was the training service that has approached me to work that has advised me that I would need to work for another training service to be self employed? This would be assessing NVQ in health and social care. The agency work would be in a care setting

Leave this with me while I draft my answer. It will take a while.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou wil you email response
You'll get notified by email when I post my answer which will be here.

Hi again.

There is no hard and fast rule about a self-employed individual having to have at least two customers to be treated as self-employed but it is a very good idea to do so. If you are working for only one client, HMRC may say that you are really employed and that will be a problem for your "employer" as it could leave them facing backdated PAYE liabilities if if it takes HMRC a while to catch up with them. If the training service have advised you that you need more than one client, that advice will be based on their experience and the possible reluctance of potential clients to take on an individual who has no other clients.

You will need to register as self-employed with HMRC which you can do here. The tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April and I'd advise you to run your accounts to 5 April to keep things simple. A tax return will be issued to after the end of the tax year. Take a look here and here for information on tax return submission deadlines and how and when you pay your tax and national insurance liabilities.

There is information on the types of expenses you can claim here and here.

If you work from home, you will be able to claim a proportion of your home expenses depending on whether you have a room used exclusively for business purposes whilst you are working or whether that room is also used for other purposes whilst you are working. Take a look at the notes starting here. You may also find the notes here useful.

There is nothing to stop you taking up an agency postion as an employee at the same time as being self-employed. It is possible to be both employed and self-employed at the same time.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Hi again.

It's been a few days since I answered your question. Is there anything you need further clarification on?