How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5142
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am the treasurer church which is a registered charity.

This answer was rated:

I am the treasurer for a church which is a registered charity. I am responsible for having an extension built to meet the needs for an office for a disabled minister. Could this possibly be VAT zero rated? Thank you

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Building an extension to an existing building would only qualify for zero-rated VAT if all the conditions stipulated in Para 3.2.5 of VAT Notice 708 are met. Here is a link to the said VAT Notice

I am sorry if this is not the answer you were expecting.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was well aware of the VAT notice and I had really expected you to address the question specifically viz the church is a charity and seeking to provide an office for a disabled minister.

Thank you for your reply.

There used to be a concession for approved alterations to listed buildings but this was changed in 2012.

There are grants available towards VAT paid on repairs and maintenace to listed places of worship but in my opinion it does not cover extensions to be built to meet the needs for an office for a disabled minister.

More information on the grants can be found here

Here is a link to a briefing paper from the House of Commons Library on this subject,d.ZWU

I hope this is helpful. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you