How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4943
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My UK VAT registered company is about to provide services to

This answer was rated:

My UK VAT registered company is about to provide services to a sole trader business in Denmark, that is not registered for VAT. My understanding is that we should charge VAT, but the client says that his accountant has told him that is not correct. Please can you clarify?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

Were your Danish customer registered the reverse charge system would apply where you charge VAT and reclaim in on the same trnasaction rendering an EU Sales List at intervals. In the absence of Danish VAT data from your customer you must charge VAT on your invoice. Here is an extract from Smarta:

'Reporting your exports to HMRC: You must report your EU sales and the VAT charged to HMRC using:

Your VAT return (Boxes 6 and 8)

Your EC Sales List (ESL) - you get sent this automatically after ticking Box 8 of your VAT return (find out more in Resources, below) If you sell more than

£260,000 of goods to EU countries in a year, you must also fill out the Intrastat Supplementary Declaration.'

As you will be charging VAT as normal you do not have to worry about EU Sales Lists etc. It is just a normal VAY standard rated supply.

I do hope that I have assisted you with your question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** exactly what I thought.

Delighted to have been of assistance.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.