How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

How to offset cis payments against sufferings

This answer was rated:

hi, how to offset cis payments against sufferings for sole trader?

Are you trying to complete a self-assessment tax return?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, i was subcontracting and contracting during last year


Can you tell me how you paid over the CIS tax you deducted from sub-contractors who worked for you to HMRC. Do you have a PAYE/CIS scheme?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i haven't paid anything to hmrc. yes i have PAYE scheme, I had to register for it in order to be registered as a contractor

PS. i don't have any employees so i don't run RTI


If you have a PAYE scheme, you don't offset the CIS tax you deducted from people you paid against the CIS tax deducted from you unless you run your business through a limited company. You disclose the payments you made to sub-contractors and the CIS tax you deducted from them in monthly CIS 300 returns that you submit to HMRC. Read about that here.

The total of the pre CIS tax payments you made to your sub-contractors goes into box 18 on page SEF2 of the SA103 pages here. The total of the CIS tax you suffered personally should be put into box 81 on page SEF4 of the full SA103 pages here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am filling in on line version , can you direct me which box to fill in there .

So it means that all deductions I make from my sub contractors through the year I have to pay to HMRC straight away?

Which form are you completing online? If it's your personal tax return, then you go to the self-employment section and click on the "Tax deducted" option. That's where you put the CIS deductions you have suffered.

The CIS tax you deduct from your sub-contractors has to be paid over monthly or quarterly as it says here.