How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4803
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

VAT Question: My company has subscribed in a third

This answer was rated:

VAT Question: My company has subscribed for shares in a third party company. The majority of the consideration for the shares will be satisfied by my company providing services (and invoicing in the usual way) to the third party. Will the third party be able to recover the VAT that we charge on our invoices from HMRC?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Yes, they can, of course, providing that the third party is registered for VAT also. They would do that as normal on their quarterly return.
I do hope that I have helped set your mind at rest on this matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, perfect, thanks Keith.

Delighted to have been of assistance.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Actually, just to be clear, my concern was that:

1. the services were being invoiced plus VAT but

2. The client was offsetting the net amount against the share subscription debt and only actually paying us the VAT element of the invoices.

Still OK?

Perfectly acceptable; the client has the full VAT invoice to support their input tax position. Their cash machinations are an irrelevance as far as you are concerned.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.