How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4950
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

L am disabled, can l claim the VAT back on a wheelchair friendly

Customer Question

l am disabled, can l claim the VAT back on a wheelchair friendly kitchen, if so what form should l ask for ?,and who do l ask for this form ?
Geoff Ross
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello Geoff, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
You should not have paid VAT in the first place and your builder should not have charged it providing you meet the following criteria [source Gov UK web site {VAT Notice 701/7}]
'3.2.1 What does ‘chronically sick or disabled’ mean?
A person is ‘chronically sick or disabled’ if he/she is a person with a:
pphysical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon his/her ability to carry out everyday activities
ccondition which the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes
It doesn’t include an elderly person who’s not disabled or chronically sick or any person who’s only temporarily disabled or incapacitated, such as with a bro***** *****mb.
If a parent, spouse or guardian acts on behalf of a ‘chronically sick or disabled’ person, your supply is treated as being made to that ‘chronically sick or disabled’ person.
HMRC can’t offer any specific advice about whether or not any particular individual customer is chronically sick or disabled.'
Zero rating as such billing is called is how VAT relief is given. solution, get your builder to amend his invoice.
I do hope I have shown you the way forward with your problem.