How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5147
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am a member of the European Union but years I live

This answer was rated:

I am a member of the European Union but for 10 years I live and work in the UK. In the last country I left flat, which my family was using. Now they moved out and I want an apartment to rent. Where should I pay tax? In the UK or in the country where I have a flat?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

I am another expert on this site and I am happy to help you with your question.
Would you like me to proceed?

Many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't understand. I asked a simple question. I paid £36 and I did not get answer. Is it cheating?

Thank you for your reply.

It is not cheating as no one as yet has answered your question. I am happy to answer it as the other expert is not online. Out of politeness, i have asked if you would like me to go ahead with the answer?

Please advise and I will give you the answer.

Many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, so what answer is?

Thank you for your reply.

When you are UK resident you are normally taxed on the arising basis of taxation. This means that all your worldwide income and gains will be taxable in the UK. Therefore, even if your foreign income and gains have already been taxed in another country they will still be taxable in the UK and you must declare all of your foreign income and gains on your tax return by completing supplementary pages SA106 - Foreign.

You would claim Foreign tax credit relief for any tax suffered on that income abroad.

So to answer your question, you would pay tax on rental income from your flat abroad to the UK tax authorities. You may also have to pay tax to the local authorities in the country where the property is but you would claim tax relief against that tax. Income from the same source is not taxed twice under double taxation agreement between the UK and many countries.

More information on DTA can be found in RDR1 here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. So, what I have to do to declare my income? Now I pay tax automatically, when I get my wages.

Thank you for your reply.

If you are filing a tax return at present then you would complete supplementary pages SA106 as mentioned in the previous posting and declare this income.

If you are not filing a tax return, then you have to register for self assessment. You will be issued with a unique tax reference number to enable you to file a tax return. UTR is 10 digits long (12345 67890).

You can register for self assessment here

There is some useful information on this site.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for all information. You are very helpful. Can I have more question later? I have to go now.

Thank you for your good words. You can ask follow up question here.

In the meantime I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I have provided, so I can be credited for it.

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In future I would like to trade on Forex market. I would like to ask when I will earn :) ( I hope), do I need to pay tax and what if I will lose?

I have insurance for life and for my retirement. I have it for many years. Can I deduct it from my tax. I started the insurance when I was living in my country, but never knew how to deduct it from tax. The insurance company is registered in my country, but the insurance covers me wherever I am. .

Do I need to rate every your answer? When I rate, can I still ask questions?

Thank you for your reply.

These follow up questions are unrelated to the original question. As per JustAnswer terms and rules you should put a fresh question.

I will be happy to assist you if you were to ask for me in the body of your question.

In the meantime, If you are happy and there are no more issues relating to your original question I will appreciate if you would kindly rate/accept the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it.

You can still ask questions relating to your original question after rating the service.

Many thanks
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.