How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17613
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

If I sell a collection of letters and other documents acquired

This answer was rated:

If I sell a collection of letters and other documents acquired from other parties who are in the same business, either by purchase or by correspondence from them at the same time as I sell my own produced documents etc . Am I liable to tax on my own documents and that of my Collection(s)
Hello,It really depends on if you are in the business of selling or selling your personal collection. Your personal possessions will normally be chattels. You only need to include in your tax return any gain on the disposal of a chattel where the disposal proceeds were more than £6,000 and the chattel is not exempt from Capital Gains Tax. The disposal proceeds will normally be the amount of money you received when you disposed of the chattel. If you dispose of a number of chattels that form a set, the £6,000 limit that normally applies to a single chattel, applies to the set.If you are acquiring these items for specific resale then yes, you are trading and would pay tax on the sales.Perhaps you could offer more information about the type of letters and documents and if you are buying for your personal collection.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am away for a short break .

Will contact you on my return early next week.