How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Good Morning. I'm full time employed as a van driver. In October

This answer was rated:

Good Morning. I'm full time employed as a van driver. In October 2013 I passed my test for cat C driving licence, in January 2014 I passed ted for cat C+E licence and also drivers CPC.. I've paid nearly GBP4000 for the whole couse. Am I allowed to claim any tax refund for it as this was to improve my skills, sort of education expenses..many thanks

I'm afraid not. As an employee, you can only make a claim for tax relief for expenses incurred "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" in the performance of your duties for your employer. Had your employer contracted with the course provider and paid for it direct, they would have got tax relief and you would not have been assessed on a benefit.

I'm sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for. Let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. Basically if I want to improve my skills there is no help at all..I need to pay for each course myself..shame:( many thanks

Short of your employer providing your courses, that's correct, I'm afraid.