How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5113
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Filled my tax return on line myself , its coming up i own

Customer Question

filled my tax return on line myself , its coming up i own them £501 ?
my tax code been 1970L. i was paid £23,143 this tax year . but i was laid off 24th november 2014 and i didnt get a job till 20th april 2015. so i have been claiming job seekers from november till april.
surely a dont owe tax man this ??
hope you can help me
N Mills
thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

You say your tax code was 1970L. This seems high as the basic personal allowance for 2014-15 was £10,000 making the tax code 1000L.

Secondly, although you were on job seekers allowance from end Nov 2014 to 20 Apr 2015, this amount is taxable.

If you were to let me have the figures from your P60 for 2014-15, I will check tax calculations for you.

Please advise
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not sure if i have had my p60 . a have got p45
and a letter from HMRC today

the hmrc letter says

pay from all employments 23,143

minus personal allowance 10,000

total income on which tax due 13,143

income tax charged 13,143 @20% 2,628.60

then on my letter from benefit office

taxable 1210.12

pay and taxable benefit 1210.12

hope this is enough info

thank you for hepping me

ps a could have filled my tax return in wrong am not very good with computers and some of the questions on the tax return do not make sence to me lol

Expert: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply and for additional information.

Based on your figures your total income in the last tax year was
(23,143+1,210) = 24,353
Personal allowance = 10,000
Taxable income (24,353-10,000) = 14,353
Tax due at 20% £2,870.60

What amount did you input for tax paid against employment income of £23,143?

If based on HMRC letter you have paid tax of £2,628.60, then you owe HMRC (2,870.60-2,628.60) £242 which is 20% of taxable benefit £1,210.12 you received.

It is likely that you did not pay enough tax whilst in employment and the amount being sought includes the underpayment.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

but i have been travelling to leeds every day between march and november 120 miles putting £80 petrol in every week
plus ppe plus wear and tear of my car ?

Expert: replied 2 years ago.
Nicholas, thank you for your reply.

You say you were travelling to Leeds every day between Mar and Nov.
Was that travelling from home to place of work or was it visiting different business sites?

What information did you put on your tax return when you filed it online?
What amount did you input as tax deducted from your salary?

Many thanks