How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5141
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Until June 27 2013 I was a fee earner of about £20,000 p.a.

This answer was rated:

Until June 27 2013 I was a fee earner of about £20,000 p.a. on top of a pension of approx £40,000 and O.A.pension of about £500 p.a.
I also earned about £400 p.a as a church organist and was left some shares which earned less than £1000 p.a.
This needed accountancy and I was happy to pay about 6/7 hundred pounds for this.
To simplify my affairs having retired from the fee earning job, I stopped receiving fees for playing the organ and transferred my shares to met wife whose only income is her pension of about £2500 pa and well below the tax threshold and now all my income is PAYE now. Despite this the accountants bill is still in the region of £600 which is a high price to pay just to declare ones income to the IR. My accountant seems to write letters at the drop of a hat which presumably cost me and sends regular round robins on Tax matters which are quite irrelevant to me. How do I simply get someone to help me with a simple tax from at reasonable cost. The only variable is my charitable gifts.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

I am a qualified accountant in practise and have clients who are in similar position to you. You should consider changing your accountant if you are not happy with the type and quality of service you get from him/her.

Your income (made up of state pension and other pension) is either taxed at source or accounted for in your tax coding. This suggests your tax affairs are fairly simple. You should not be paying a fee in excess of £400 to an accountant to provide you an expectable and quality service. I suggest you look at your local yellow pages for adverts of qualified accountants.

Charitable gifts come into the equation if you are a higher rate tax payer.
My suggestion to you is that your prepare working schedules showing:
income by source to cover all pension receipts supported by P60;
interest receipts if any;
charitable donations by charity;

and make them available to the accountant.

You may wish to ask your accountant to review the fee structure and suggest you are not willing to pay a penny more than £400.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could I not submit my return myself at no cost as I used to do years ago when i was simply PAYE. How do I change from benign fee earner to a PAYE i.n the eyes of the IR

Michael, thanks for your reply.

There is no reason why you should not be able to file your tax return yourself. It requires discipline.

As I suggested, prepare a checklist/template and gather all your infomation before you start the task of filing the return This is what I do for my own affairs.

You could use one of the tax experts here to guide you if you are unclear about reporting of certain facts/information.

In the eyes of HMRC, if your meet certain criteria you have to file a tax return. Over time, if they form a view that as your income is taxed at source and that you are not a higher rate tax payer, they would write to you advising you don't have to file a tax return.

I hope this is helpful. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.