How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4953
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

If a retired person is house bound and requires carers four

This answer was rated:

If a retired person is house bound and requires carers four times a day, which is
costing just under £800 every four weeks, is it possible to offset this cost against
income tax paid on pensions received.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question. The news I bring will I fear not be to your liking.
Cost for care is not allowable against personal Income Tax to which sister's pensions are liable. Her local council may assist towards these and the Money Advice Service gives a very full resume of the matter here:
However local councils are all short of money these days and if your sister does not fall within an eligible category they are unlikely to assist and have no legal duty so to do. You will see from their summary that even getting help will be a long drawn out process. As her local council have refused to assist someone may need to review the grounds upon which the decision has been made on case they are in error.
I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.