How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4955
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I recently got married 20th April. How do I transfer from single

This answer was rated:

I recently got married 20th April. How do I transfer from single to married status. I receive a pension from my work. My Nat Ins Number is ***** I also have moved from 1.b. Churchill Place Waringstown BT667QS to 41 Village Walk Portadown BT635TL.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Just Answer is an independent UK tax advice site and not connected to any Government Department. Your question seems to indicate that you are in receipt of some pension. Depending upon the rules of the pension fund it may preclude payment thereof on marriage, but without more detail I am unable to assist further.
You should abvise your change of address to your HMRC tax office to ensure correct notification of tax code numbers for example and also your pension provider.
The two persons in a marriage have independent status for tax purposes and have had for many years. In general terms marriage does not affect individuals' tax although, having said that, from this year one partner can give up an unused 1K of their personal allowance to the other party.
I do hope that I have been able to shed some light on your situation.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.