How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5141
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

My wife was born in 1931 (i was born 1940). She has a small

This answer was rated:

My wife was born in 1931 (i was born 1940). She has a small pension of approx £4500pa.
Am I right in assuming that this is ofset by her personal allowance, and I can therefore claim my own personal allowance and also her married persons allowance of £9600. Although I assume I should not claim my married persons allowance as again I assume that ther is only one married persons allowance per couple?

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

All taxpayers are entitled to a personal allowance in their own right. You are right in assuming that your wife will have her personal allowance to cover her small pension of approx £4,500 pa.

You would claim your own personal allowance against your income. You would be entitled to married couple's allowance.

Taxpayers who are part of a couple, one of whom was born before 6 April 1935 are entitled to the married couple’s allowance. The married couples allowance is £8,355 in 2015-16 (2014-15, £8,165), but relief is only available at a rate of 10%. Therefore, the maximum reduction to your tax as a result of receiving the allowance is £835.50 (£816.50 in 2015-16).

More information on married couple's allowance can be found here

Furthermore, in 2015-16, married couples and civil partners will be able to share some of their personal allowance between them for the first time. Unused allowance from one partner can be used by a higher-earning second partner to save tax. The amount you can transfer is capped at £1,060 in 2015-16. Mr Osborne noted that this will increase to £1,100 by 2017-18. Only couples who are both 20% taxpayers can transfer allowance in this way.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you