How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4787
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Can anyone help me with a tax return question about working

This answer was rated:

Can anyone help me with a tax return question about working in Holland with an A1 insurance paying UK nics and UK tax do I have to do 2 tax returns UK and NL

thanks john

Hello John, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

If you are being remunerated under PAYE arrangements you will probably not need to self assess unless you have other income of a substantial nature unless, of course, HMRC request you to make one. The majority of UK tax payers never have to self assess.

Holland may want you to make a return, but remember that under the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and The Netherlands any tax deducted by the UK is allowable as a tax credit against any Dutch tax levied on the same income stream so you are not taxed twice. The Treaty does not, however, protect you from differences in rates of tax.

I do hope that my answer will be of assistance to you and help clear the air..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi I did not give enough info. I am self-employed contracting labour only paying NICS/ stamp and UK tax and I self assess in UK.


Firstly, apologies for the delay, I was moving base from New York back home to Scotland.
Full details of Dutch Income Tax, which forms you need and how to complete them can be found here:
Just to confuse Netherlands tax year runs with the calendar year. Also the deadline for making a return is 1 April. If you are classified as resident in Holland then you are taxable on all income world wide. If not resident then only on income arising in Holland.
ExpatFocus has a good summary of what to do here:
I do hope that I have been able to shed some more light on your position, John.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you