How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5141
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I started working and living in the Middle East with my family

This answer was rated:

I started working and living in the Middle East with my family in 2007 when I was considered by HMRC as being non resident for tax purposes. My family recently moved back to the UK (July 2014) but I have continued working overseas. Based on the current SRT rules as I understand them I have 2 ties, family and house, which means I can visit the UK for up to 90 days and continue to maintain my tax free status with regards ***** ***** tax. Is my interpretation correct?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Sufficient UK ties Test
Based on information provided, you can visit the UK for up to 90 days and continue to maintain your tax free status.

Your stay in the UK can be
- 91-120 days if you were not previously resident in the UK or
- 46-90 days if you were previously resident in the UK.

There is good artilce written by my accountancy body on this subject and I am providing you the link here.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your prompt response.

Based on the information contained in the link provided, am I right in saying that if I meet one of the conditions under 'Automatically Not Resident in the UK' then the other two SRT tests are no longer relevant.


Kevin, thank you for your reply.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

If you meet any of the automatic overseas test for a tax year, you are automatically non-resident for that year.

Confirmation of this can be found on page 9 of RDR3 here

I hope this is helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had a look at the link and calculated that I comply with the 35 hour rule so automatically non-resident.

Thank you.

Thank you for additional information.
Best wishes