How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7519
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Why have i managed to underpay tax

Customer Question

why have i managed to underpay tax
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

This site is not part of HMRC so I cannot access your tax file. However, I may be able to answer your question if you can give me some more information about your situation. Alternatively, you can ask for a refund of your deposit. Let me know what you would like me to do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Thanks but does that mean you want a refund or you would like me to try to help? If you would like me to help, let me know what your situation is as there could be any number of reasons why you appear to owe some tax.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am now retired after 3 years and have a private pension from a previous job

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me for which tax year or tax years you appear to be underpaid please. Did you have any other sources of income in the tax year or tax years you are underpaid for such as a state pension or a part-time job?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2013-2014 state pension

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question, you seem to have opted out my colleague - do you wish me to assist.
If so
Please clarify -
1) that this unpaid tax position relates to 2013/2014 only
2) Your income for 2013/2014 was state pension and a private pension
Please then advise
2) How much you state pension was for 2013/12014 and how much your personal pension was for 2013/2014 and any tax deducted
3) How much HMRC state you owe
4) The explanation they have given you on the P800 PAYE tax calculation or self assessment calcualtion
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
You opted me out which is fine but you will still need to provide information which I asked you for. Unfortunately, I'm not a mind reader so I need information. Sam will help you out as I would have. Now I will opt out.