How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14199
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I had a Retirement Annuity Trust Scheme when I was resident

This answer was rated:

I had a Retirement Annuity Trust Scheme when I was resident in Guernsey. Upon moving to the UK in 2013, I applied to cash in the balance under the triviality rules. I was required to pay 20% income tax to do this. Where do I declare this on my tax return as a UK resident? Is it foreign income?
Thank you for your assistance
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just answer.
You will declare this on the foreign part of the tax return - under pensions and advise the gross amount and the 20% tax suffered.
If however you suffered UK tax at the 20% then I would in fact declare this lump sum and the tax suffered on the main part of the tax return - Box 10
Pensions (other than State Pension), retirement
annuities and taxable triviality payments – the gross
amount. Tax taken off goes in box 11
Do advise whether it was UK tax suffered or foreign tax suffered on the full pay out, if you require any furtehr assistance.
Or let me know if you require any additional information on this matter.
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you