How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I'm self employed but I've paid people through my UTR how

This answer was rated:

Hi I'm self employed but I've paid people through my UTR how do I put this on my self assessment so that it doesn't look like its my earnings

Can you tell me what you do for a living and what the people you paid did for you please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm an electrician, the people who work for me carried out some work on a solar farm for a week and as I haven't set up a business I put it through my UTR. The issue I have is I need to complete my SA for 2014-2015 but the money's I have paid to these people at the moment looks as if it's my earnings, which pushes my earnings to £56k and means my rebate after expenses isn't what it should be.

Were you paid for this particular job through the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)? Did you get invoices from those you had working for you or thier names and addreses? Did you pay them in cash?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I was paid through my UTR cis scheme, and tax was stopped at source. I have there names addresses and there UTR numbers. Payment was made through BACS.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer. It will take a while.
Hi again.

The total of the gross (pre tax deduction) payments to sub-contractors in the construction industry should be put into box 18 of the SA103F self-employment pages here.

If you deducted tax from your sub-contractors earnings, you should have set up a CIS scheme of your own to account for any tax deductions. Read about that here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you